If you look at the current Visit Saint Paul map of downtown, you’ll see it divided into three districts: “Lowertown”, “West 7th”, and “Downtown”. Of course, this is simply representative of what the livelier sections of DtStP are, but not long ago I was introduced to the idea of additional such boundary lines downtown, including names of additional districts: “Fitzgerald Park”, “Central Business District”, “Rice Park Area”.
I was very taken with this idea as it immediately made talking about downtown much easier for me. I believe making such boundaries some kind of official, perhaps in the updated Downtown Development Strategy, it would almost as instantly give a few under recognized areas of DtStP a sense of place. There’s room for some semantic discussion, such as minor debate over the boundary lines or names of each area. I also like the name precincts more than districts. This project page exists to push this agenda and illustrate the proposed idea in a clean way. Some cities pay consulting firms lots of money for these kinds of ideas, let’s see if we can skip that part.
Immediate Action Items:
- Provide input in Downtown Development Plan Strategy
- Solidify names and borders
- Develop and distribute form for community input to check that box
- Determine specific specs for banner/signs graphics
- Find out regulatory restrictions on banners/signs and who has to install and what that takes for requesting and cost.
- Determine specific locations for banners/signs in each neighborhood.
Long-Term Action Items:
- Petition City Council to declare designations as official?
- Look at how street-banners/signs for similar things are funded locally and in other cities
- Request proposals from community on banner/sign designs
- Raise/Request funds for banners/signs and installation
Potential Related Projects?